Sunday, December 1, 2013

One rule: QSL means QSL !

I spent almost 35 years on HF doing all sorts of things - from 'standard' two-way amateur radio contacts: chasing IOTA, DXCC, contesting to more exotic modes and bands like EME. 2200m and 630m to some really bizarre stuff like chasing DGPS, NDB beacons, and time signals. In November 2013 I've decided to take up a new challenge: to confirm 100 broadcast stations from 100 countries.

While some may argue that SWL is too easy (what kind of challenge is it to chase 100KW signals?) I would disagree. First of all, there are many low power broadcasters who are simply 'hard to catch'. Second, BCL offers a great opportunity to learn more about languages, cultures, politics, and religion. So unlike the amateur transmissions, broadcast signals offer strong content.

Thirdly, the challenge to CONFIRM 100 countries is not to be underestimated - with so many stations closing down, this will be even more challenging in the future.

Before I logged my first station, I've made one self-imposed rule: I will be sending my QSL requests via snail mail (air mail) with sufficient amount to cover return postage, unless otherwise required.

In return, I will only accept REAL paper QSL cards - no meaningless electronic confirmation, no letters from a station with a generic "thank you for tuning in' copy-and-paste content.

I am not a pen pal or a stamp collector. If I am going to spend my time and efforts listening to a broadcast, invest in equipment and antennas, and travel to exotic locations where the reception is crystal clear, then my only reward will be in the form of a proper QSL card.

If a broadcaster does not QSL, than I'll accept that too. No problem at all! However, if that is the case, then I will no longer listen to their program, mention them in my blog nor log them again.

And this is what VK2DX SWL blog is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment